Monday, April 1, 2013

No daisies

It seemed like a strange time for Easter to come along.  After all, it was still March! I casually mentioned to daughter in law a week or so ago that we should think about an Easter brunch.  Actually I was thinking one of the yummy presentations offered by the great eateries in the area would be a nice way to spend a cool spring morning.  I hadn't yet gathered any spring flowers or for that matter, no friendship with a florist has been struck in our new surroundings.  Yep, this circumstance is making me miss my friend, Flower Girl.  It seemed like turning the celebration over to strangers for hire might be a good option.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.  Shortly thereafter, DIL posted and tagged me on a social network with a recipe recommendation for a brunch casserole.  Sounded easy enough.  The foundation was set.  I was serving Easter Brunch!  I didn't quite get into it until Saturday afternoon, when it occurred to me that we were out of eggs!  With a promise to cook soon, I lured Ol' Abner to the grocery store.  I texted DIL that she should spread the word that brunch would be served around 10:30 or 11ish.  She would have preferred a little earlier, but my little oven only cooks so fast (not to mention, I don't often get moving early).

Not a single flower adorned my brunch table, but the simple food was good.  DIL arrived in time to stir up a big batch of tiny biscuits to complement the casserole, avocado-tomato mix and fruit salad.  Did I mention the mimosas with which we primed the appetite?  Surely no one else noticed the lack of floral offerings.


It's a nice Monday morning after the quiet celebration, and with no wilting flowers to  salvage, leftovers are the joy of the day. Oh wait, now I remember why I like to have holiday celebrations at home.  It's the leftovers! Yes, that's how we stretch the celebration over several days. Now what on earth will I do with the Blueberry-Banana dessert, Lemon Icebox pie, and White Chocolate Cheesecake.  This crowd does love desserts, but why wouldn't they take some home!   We will just have to persevere...


Brother In Law cannot go home to West Texas until this dessert is finished!


No comments:

Post a Comment