Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thump!

Another illusion down the tank!  Both my grandmothers lived into their nineties enjoying reasonable decent health until their final few months.  My mother lived to 75 with a demise from cancer attributed to years of cigarette smoking.  One Grandfather lived til 96 and the other died of a heart ailment at 68. My father (not Pappy) died at 53 from lung cancer, another one to blame on cigarette smoking.  My premise here:  I never smoked, I will enjoy a long healthy life!  My little Doctor Girl (I can call her that because she is a bit younger than my daughter) shattered my plan today.  Well, not really.  I'm not on the verge of eminent death, in fact I'm not even ill.  Seems my long life is gonna take a little more work than planned.

A few months ago, my annual exam revealed total cholesterol that had spiked since the previous year. It's been creeping up over the last decade, but 40 points was a bit too much.  Doctor Girl was much more concerned than I thought was necessary.  She asked if I would like to participate in a heart health study that included in depth lab and genetic tests predictive of heart disease.  Of course I agreed, all studies need a few duds that show nothing, right?

I embarked on her recommendation that I eat according to the Mediterranean diet.  I read several glowing reports of the success of this plan for overall health and weight control!  Bingo, weight loss would be wonderful, and I do like the foods.  Unfortunately I like most foods and this was the holiday season.  After the first of the year, I began preparing healthy seafood, chicken, brown rice and lots of vegetables.  Ol' Abner grumbled, but he should have been eating this way all along (I told him that anyway).  After 12 weeks, the lab dutifully drew my venom...uh..I mean blood, and forwarded the results for dissemination.

The good news relayed by my smiling practitioner was successful drop in my cholesterol to a high normal.  All my other lab values were in the mid to high normal levels. I already knew the sad fact that my weight had not changed one ounce.  She handed me my copy of the study explaining that results highlighted in green were very good, yellow would be indication that possible intermediate risk exists and red marks high risk for cardiovascular event.  Mostly green blocks on the pages with a few yellow blocks interspersed...and two big RED boxes.  Both of the ugly red suckers were not a picture of my current health, but those ugly genes that I cannot see.  She gently explained that these are elements of my health I cannot change...wait, I want new cards!

I'm not sure how I feel about this news.  I suppose it's good to know that continuing healthy eating habits and regular exercise may prevent an early death from heart disease.  I planned to follow the path of my grandmothers without effort!  Doggone it, now I'm really feeling a need for a lovely dish of Creme' Brulee!

No comments:

Post a Comment