Tuesday, January 7, 2020

I choose not to participate

Cedar fever! It is real. Strangely enough, the plant we call Mountain Cedar is actually a prolific species of juniper causing all the sneezing, coughing,  headachy, eye watery misery. I suffered with it the first New Year’s Eve we were in Texas hill country, but over the years symptoms have abated. I think my indulgence in local honey has helped or perhaps I simply developed a tolerance. 

It’s quite a spectacle when the dark colored evergreens begin their aggressive season of bloom. The berries explode in a flurry, emitting a fog of pollen. Newcomers often call the fire department reporting a fire on the hillside.

I’m told the best way to avoid symptoms is avoidance of the outdoor air. Now that is a plan I cannot abide. With temperatures in the mid seventies and a sunny beautiful day, I am so glad my body no longer fights this battle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment