Sunday, May 26, 2013

Just Stand UP!

After nearly two weeks of travel, my backside refuses to remain in a sitting position for long.  The last forty-eight hours have involved a ride to the Seattle airport before dawn to catch a plane to Little Rock with a layover for lunch (at breakfast time in Phoenix), ending with a shuttle from the Little Rock airport in bumper to bumper, stop and creep traffic.  I was able to stretch my legs for a few minutes as I checked on my car in the parking garage, resisted the urge to go down the waterfront and join the RiverFest activities, and strolled across the street to a sandwich shop instead.  I crawled in bed before the sky was even dark to sleep for a few hours.

On Saturday morning, as in a few minutes after midnight, I loaded my belongings into my waiting car and began the drive from Little Rock to Lago Vista.  Nearly nine hours later, my numb behind, was unloaded again.  Another shower to refresh my sagging hair was necessary before I loaded, this time as a passenger, into another vehicle to head for Houston to a memorial service for an old friend.  Ol' Abner and I shared memories of this giant of a man (no kidding, 6'6" and boasted quite a copius girth for many years) with such a giant heart, sense of humor and intense loyalty.  He was actually a month younger than Ol' Abner, further reminding us of our own mortality.  Sitting politely through the service and loving the chance to stand and visit afterward, I dreaded the repeat of another couple of hours travel.  (Did I actually say that?  I DREADED travel!)  On the way home, we stopped at a revered BarBQ place and of course, sat to eat.

This morning, I'm standing to type and considering a walk to take some of the pup's girth down to size. She seems to have expanded a bit while I was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment