Thursday, December 12, 2013

Cheers

Yesterday was the annual President's Luncheon for the Women's Golf Association.  Since I just became eligible to play with the ladies on the golf course, there are many I didn't know...and perhaps a few I might not care to know (mind you that opinion is not my own, but a bit of advice offered unsolicited).

Scheduled starting time was 12 Noon and I walked in at 11:55 only to be the last to arrive.  Must remind myself, this group arrives early and I must follow that lead if I want to choose my seat in the future.  Other gatherings I have attended have been outdoors, a pool house barbeque and a picnic, so seating had little relevance.  This time I was positioned with my back to the people I knew best.  You might say I was squarely in the middle of the Catholic Ladies group.  Just across from me was a disheveled irreverent woman wearing red sparkly reindeer antlers.  By the time our lunch was served I had learned that she would need to leave soon to pick up her brother as he arrived at the airport.  OK, holiday arrival of a relative no big story.  She explained that her sibling had "no useful brain matter", having purchased his plane ticket after arriving at the airport, then complaining loudly at the price! After all, he had long ago taken a vow of poverty and all that goes with priesthood. Even though he is president of a prestigious Catholic University in the North, he finds little ability to navigate the most mundane daily tasks. He prefers to bless those that see to those banal requirements on his behalf.  She was clearly looking forward to his visit despite any shortcomings.  My other companions discussed the services provided to the poor and underpriviledged by the local church.  I was offered advice for assisting my aging Papa and dealing with Ol' Abner's ailments.  A couple of them only live here in the winter months, going to a cooler climate when the summer heat comes. 

The food was good and the wine cheered my spirits. We toasted the outgoing President and toasted again to the incoming officer.  I think I'll join the group for a round of golf next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment