Wednesday, July 24, 2013

This can't be SLEEP

Last week I went to  a local laboratory to sleep publicly overnight.  That thought in itself was rather intimidating.  An infrared camera recording my every twist, turn, and snort in the night isn't my perception of good times.  I arrived sans face cream, hair product or lotions on my scaly body per instructions.  I completed a thick volume of paper questionnaires and readied myself for bed. Wires and electrodes were attached to every muscle in my body, or so it felt.  It would be an exaggeration to say over 600 electrodes were placed, but certainly enough were in place to monitor my every move or twitch.  The technician happily snapped a photo when I mentioned my probable likeness to a "Frankenstein type character", then continued to apply more bits of paste with electrodes inserted.  When the trussing was completed, further insult  involved insertion of fat tubes into my nostrils to force air down my throat.  I was rendered speechless with cold air expelling uncomfortably from my face.  One would think this process would be enough for anyone ever.  Oh no, I returned as instructed for a second round last night.  Even though I knew what to expect this time, it was no less uncomfortable and certainly no kin to restful. How can this be a sleep study, when very little of that actually happens.  The technician assured me I slept quite a lot last night.  I guess she should know, but for some reason I arrived home wanting nothing more than to fall into my own bed.  Two hours later I had to get up to meet another commitment, but I assure you I will sleep well tonight.  There won't be a camera anywhere nearby to capture the experience, and I will awake without the dreaded PASTE in my hair!
Can you match the other ends?
Let the wiring begin

No comments:

Post a Comment