Friday, July 19, 2013

Emerging Skills

Golf is the most frustrating and satisfying process I've ever attempted to master.  I came off the driving range this morning with my arms aching after hitting two large buckets of balls.  With three lessons behind me, I have learned to swing everything except my putter. That comes next week.  In fact, I will have two lessons next week with the final one involving an actual round of golf.  It's been frustrating being stuck on the driving range, but my training wheels will finally be removed and I'll be on my own on the course, probably before I'm ready.  I rode with Ol' Abner earlier this week as he played a round of golf on the more difficult of the two courses in our little community.  My drives will not reach the distance he sends that little ball into the air anytime soon.  The hole he reached and sank into with four strokes will likely require nine or more before I can claim success.

The beauty of the course is relaxing when riding along as a passenger in the cart, and some of the slopes are downright breathtaking (as in knuckle-clinching kind of taking away my breath). I am anxious to test my emerging skills.  Today's practice elevated my ability to curse to a new level.  It's never been a talent nurtured, yet the words seem to slip involuntarily from my lips at times.
One of the few straight level fairways on
Highland Lakes Golf course.

No comments:

Post a Comment