Saturday, October 20, 2012

Yawn! I wish...

This is the second morning I've awakened in the wee hours with a return to sleep elusive.  It's not unusual to find myself waking for a few moments during the night, glancing at the clock, realizing I can return to sleep with next awareness coming hours later.  It is unusual to toss and turn, remaining wide awake for an hour or more.  We are settled into our new home.  Life seems to be fairly calm for the moment.  No strange noises are going bump in the night.  Household temperature is comfortable.  Ol' Abner's sleep habits haven't changed and the dog hasn't adjusted her bedtime ritual of tucking us in then moving to another room to sleep.  So why, I wonder, am I wide awake at 3AM?

I could probably accomplish something productive.  A couple of knitting projects could be completed.  Several interesting books are at various stages, and a few moments of reading might be relaxing.  The last sleepytime teabag was used one evening last week when I felt a chill in the air and needed pre-sleep warmth. I should have replenished that supply.  Maybe I'll make a grocery list or rearrange the pantry that seems to have shrunk since we settled into the house.  Several missed programs from the last couple of weeks are waiting in the dvr to be viewed.  There was a time in my life when these were my most productive hours, but I find little satisfaction these days from nocturnal ramblings.

All I really want to do is sleep...or I think I want to sleep.  Maybe my mind and body are undergoing another evolution and three hours of sleep are all that I need.

Now I'm aggravated!  Ol' Abner left his air compressor on in the garage and it just kicked in and scared me silly!  Maybe I'll go wake him and fuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment