Saturday, October 27, 2012

Changing Seasons

It's time for an oil change in my car.  Not so long ago, the date dictated the time to refresh the lubricant, more so than the mileage. The excitement of my new surroundings are stacking up miles to the next service quickly.  My car is several years older than it's miles would reflect.  Most of those miles were accumulated on the highways of Missouri with an occasional trip to Texas.  Now that we are back in Texas with the big open roads and generous speed limits, I'm racking up the miles again.  Over a year ago, Ol' Abner suggested we consider replacing my car before it aged out of warranty time.  I was resistant.  Now that's changed a little.  My problem?  What might I want to drive?  Always being fiercely loyal to American brands, those lines have blurred with all the uproar in the auto industry.  Furthermore, I hate wandering around car lots fending off the advances of sales people.  I would love to have gadget plug-ins that are more readily accessible.  I like being able to see up over the traffic ahead on the freeway, but don't know that I'm ready to sacrifice the decent gas efficiency presently enjoyed.  The ease of parking a smaller car is comfortable, although I've adapted to maneuvering large tanks into small parking spaces most of my adult life.  Oh the days of driving my Volkswagon Beetle!  That was a very long time ago and today's version of that icon are totally unacceptable to my aging body.  Maybe my current car needs one more winter in my drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment