Saturday, January 14, 2012

Simmering Superstition

Yesterday was Friday the 13th.  The superstitious significance of the date was pretty much unnoticed on the mountain, or so I thought.  It would appear the unrest lurked just under the surface all over our little town.  The cold wind couldn't hold it's own against the conflicts brewing.  Members of city council rebelled against the mayor as he defended his golden boy employee...better known as head bully.  A special meeting was called and the result was three day suspension of head bully.  He returned to work yesterday, as it simmered.

Others dealt with conflicting issues sufficient to decide retirement may need to happen sooner than later.

Couples shared loaded comments with one another and seemed to ignore the upcoming repercussions.

Belle and I walked in the biting cold wind without the company of our usual neighborhood companions.  She tried to join a man walking alone several times and by the third or fourth time we passed him I guess he finally adjusted his route to avoid another encounter.  Leaving home well bundled and wearing multiple layers against the frigid temperature, I returned no longer cold.  In fact, I was sweating and simmering.  Ol' Abner thought he had heard me return and locked the front door.  After knocking with no response, I finally  hit the doorbell, over and over again.  As I had been well hydrated before I left, my patience was wearing thinner than my bladder.

It may be awhile before all the simmering boils over.




No comments:

Post a Comment