Saturday, December 17, 2011

Slippery Slopes

Winter in Dogpatch can be treacherous and heart-warming. On really cold days the neighborhood looks devoid of human population. Let the sun show it's bright face and walkers are strolling the streets. A little moisture can create icy streets and walkways. That's enough to keep me inside. The klutz gene evolves quickly with just a bit of the slippery underfoot. Dry leaves on a path become more like roller skates when wet and cold. I dare not brag that this season hasn't YET resulted in a spill for me, it's only a matter of time. Wouldn't it be nice if a preventive vaccine could be developed to stave off accidental slippage of aging bodies. As much as I complain when expected to have an annual flu shot, a shot to keep me upright with movement would be gladly welcomed.

I do take reasonable precautions. When approaching a flight of stairs, the handrail is always used. No more do I race up or down stairs with an armload of anything. As I waited for Ol' Abner to have a diagnostic test yesterday, I strolled around the perimeter of the medical facilities. It was chilly, but luckily dry. Inside the hospital, a walkway to the adjoining medical school is accessed by several flights of stairs. On the second day of long hours in the car seat, a bit of total body movement was a necessity. Approaching the wide stairs with some measure of trepidation (all things going up must come down???), I easily walked up the stairs and emerged to traverse the skywalk. The return trip was perilous in my view. As fellow travelers just bounced down the center of the wide flight, I waited for availability of a handrail on the right side to balance my descent.

It's morning on the mountain now. Whatever the weather holds in store, I will have my outdoor time today. Baked goods abound in the neighborhood, and indulgence is a foregone conclusion.


No comments:

Post a Comment