Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Dam Knitters





When I was in college, many of my dorm mates were learning to play bridge. Card games have never been my forte, so I followed the path of friends learning to knit. Can't say I mastered the technique, but I did learn to knit and purl. A resurgence of interest in the process among Dogpatch residents has sparked my interest again. Returning from a spring trip to Santa Fe with my treasures purchased in a yarn shop there, I was thrilled that our local flower shop had added the fiber section. An ever growing group of women, young and old, gather for classes during day and evening sessions. Open knitting is hosted twice weekly with knitters sharing tips and showing off skills. The comradarie has become a support system in and of itself. These women share concerns and joys as the thread of friendship accompanies the twisting, slipping and turning of yarns to complete an accessory or a garment. The group has been tagged the "Dam Knitters."

Yesterday's Open House event was well attended. I can hardly wait for spring classes to begin. My resolution for the new year is to learn to make socks. That probably should have been in BOLD, ALL CAPS. Yes, I am going to learn to make socks in the coming year. There! I have committed in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment