Saturday, December 24, 2011

Peace, Joy and Love

The house is quiet this morning. We are at daughter's house planning to meet son for a lunch halfway across the metroplex. Our children lead such busy lives and their paths usually only cross during the holiday season. Since retirement, Ol' Abner and I have done the holiday traveling. When we made the move to Dogpatch, we knew winter travel for our children would be next to impossible. We were much more mobile then any of them. We love having the flexibility to come and go as we like. Some years we have been in the Lone Star State to celebrate a bit early, then return to the mountain for Christmas Eve and the remainder of the holiday season. I wonder how future holiday seasons will evolve.

This year I feel a strange calm. No sense of frenzy usually felt during this week of the year. Could it be I have finally accepted my role as Yuletide observer in lieu of perpetrator? It's a joy to listen to the plans of grandchildren and visit while they go about their activities. After Christmas, we will travel home with son and daughter in law. They are in a new home this year and I can hardly wait to see how festive it will be there.

Peace on Earth, Good Will toward Man! That's the spirit...and maybe I'm beginning to get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment