Sunday, August 16, 2020

Puzzled

For years balancing my incoming to outgoing funds was a constant challenge. Ol’ Abner watched my spending by snooping through my checkbook in early years, then on line once the bank account was available for digital interaction. It was a “back of my mind” concern that I might overspend. He kept that concern front and center, exaggerating the size and frequency of my purchases.  When he was no longer able to be the watchman, I embraced the fitting of the finances into a monthly puzzle usually finding a few excess spaces available for the next months. He left me sufficiently funded to live worry free well into my old age. 

That was before this pandemic threw a wrench into every process. Now I find myself with no extra pieces, but many gaps in the puzzle to be completed. This is a terrifying circumstance for me, though I know we were often here in younger years. Today I am on my own as I search for those missing pieces and pray that they will come in time. As I look to the future, the word “normal” has no meaning. I must view this as a “new adventure” at a time in my life when I had least expected. Boring was never my pleasure, but I must pray that I am up for this level of excitement. Now, let me search for even a tiny piece of this puzzle of $$$.

No comments:

Post a Comment