Friday, November 22, 2013

A Wandering Mind

Trivial memories float into my mind at the strangest times.  Today is the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination.  With the news coverage, each story provokes a unique trail of memories for me.  On the front page of the Austin newspaper a story highlighted the impact of the news as it soaked in within the Texas Capitol.  One storyline caught my eye: "The excitement was such that Superintendent Irby Carruth announced that Austin schools would close at 2:30 p.m. so students could see the motorcade". (Austin American-Statesman) The story itself was not remarkable, but the superintendent's name jumped out at me.  

Years after the Dallas tragedy, one of my college roommates came back from a visit to her hometown to announce that her parent's close friend had recently remarried and she had an opportunity to be charmed by the new wife.  Superintendent Irby Carruth was that friend.  The new Mrs. Carruth was none other than my favorite high school English teacher.  Even more exciting, she remembered me! Now there's a happy memory in the midst of all this sadness! 

No comments:

Post a Comment