Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Rising Water

Our lake is within a foot of it's all time highest level. The spring rains have filled the creeks, flowed into the river and made the lake full. Our lake is the last of the chain of lakes on the beautiful White River and thus the final barrier to downstream flooding in Arkansas. The lake level has been just at the edge of the flood gates for the last week and power generation gates are running in an effort to release some of the pressure from tributaries flowing into the lake and create much needed renewable energy. Reading and hearing about the flood ravaged lowlands makes me glad we are above the wetness here on the mountain. On the other hand, returning from the drought stricken Texas hill country, I couldn't help but wish this water could be redirected that way. The excess forty or fifty feet of water in our pond would spread quite well along the Lake Travis waterfront and no one would complain at all. I really do understand that seldom are all things kept equal, and it isn't my role in life to determine where rainwater should fall. That still doesn't keep me from offering a prayer to my maker to send a bit of this water to my beloved Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment