Monday, May 9, 2011

Never say "NOT"

Today I have my annual preventive care exam. My doctor insists I schedule the usual battery of tests followed by poking and prodding, weighing and measuring to determine that I am indeed still alive and well. As I complain about this intrusive process, a bit of gratitude is always present that good health has been mine to enjoy throughout my long life.

At the same time, a bit of ironic frustration rears it's ugly head. My own words have again, cursed me. When I called to schedule the appointment, the staffer asked what my appointment purpose might be. My response "there's not a thing in the world wrong with me", as I complained that my doc just thinks I should visit once a year whether I need it or not.

Later that day and each day hence, a crushing sinus headache has plaqued me at some time in the afternoon. The headaches have been migraine-like in intensity. Some days my left eye reddens and swells from the pain. Nothing I try seems to prevent the onset, and no amount of denial keeps me going. My only relief seems to come with come with sleep after heavy medication, cold packs, and nasal rinses. Technically, I am NOT ill, just uncomfortable...no, miserable for two or three hours each day.

My dilemma? Since this is a preventive care apppointment, paid at 100% by my insurance, do I ask that my doctor search for the cause at this visit or endure the elusive search for the usual suspected causes of degeneration and schedule an appointment tomorrow to diagnose and treat my sinusitis or cause thereof? Maybe I'll just leave that to the doc, after all it's his paycheck we're providing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment