Sunday, May 22, 2011

Blooms

Things that bloom always make me smile. This week I've been reviving my front porch with fresh plants, some returned from indoor wintering and others new to the mix. The scent of growing geraniums always gives me a happy clean feeling. I love the tall spiky salvia, and better still, the deer do NOT! Marigolds have to be dotted in several of my pots because deer find them particularly abhorrent, and I do like their perky gold and orange blossoms. I've added a couple of hanging baskets near the porch containing coleus interspersed with a number of dusty miller sprouts...since deer aren't fond of the grey green fronds.

All this attention to the front porch gives me a glorious excuse to avoid the weeding of the daffodil bed and deciding what to do about redecorating the treehouse. Last year simple ferns graced my favorite outdoor sitting area, but I'm thinking a bit of color may be in the mix this season. Maybe a few coleus can be added. Nothing with too much maintenance will be tolerated. Guess I better avoid things that need to be deadheaded. Maybe a tall palm for the corner...hmmm, gonna have to worry this one a bit. Meanwhile Ol' Abner brings my wheelbarrow of dirt to the front and returns it to the back when I've used what I need. He doesn't get the same thrill with blooms that I enjoy, but he indulgently backs up my efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment