Friday, April 10, 2009

Special Times

A couple of days ago, I traveled North to spend an evening with some close friends and former co-workers. Isn't it great that working and traveling with people of the same occupation can plant and nurture lifelong friendships? Most of my longtime friends were met in the course of working. Maybe that is why it has always been difficult for me to imagine never working again. Volunteer activities can be fun in a retirement community, but the pecking order of the existing hens cannot be challenged without serious pain to a newcomer. When one works, the distraction of the job to be done encourages personal interaction and friendships are formed almost without effort. We seem to just fall into the natural order of things and something special happens within those relationships generated through common goals and hurdles.

Our work was tiring, with constant deadlines, pressures for stronger performance, and exacerbated by many months of out of town travel. As we enjoyed distractions from the stress of work, our group became more of a second family than workgroup. Spouses and children of co-workers became a part of that extended family and the friendships deepened as a result. Leaving that fold was more difficult than I could have imagined. I love being home on my mountain and do not miss the long hours of driving to various cities, but I do yearn for the day to day interaction with that particular group of friends. I miss the work without really regretting it's end.

Being included in plans for future events made me feel wonderful and still part of the group. My life is so full with extended family activities, but this unique "family of friends" is something to cherish always.

No comments:

Post a Comment