Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Above it All


One afternoon last week we were down near the river and spotted an eagle's nest in a tree on the cliff. Little eaglet heads were peeking out from the nest and we couldn't resist the urge to stop and spy on them through binoculars. I had my camera with me and attempted to get a photo...alas, my telephoto lens has serious limitations (really need a stronger camera). The area around the lake and river are known nesting areas for our national bird, and we host an "eagle awareness" event each year in January. These magnificent birds of prey are fascinating. The population seems to be increasing in the area and we celebrate the fact. As we watched, a parent flew to the nest and brought nourishment to the young ones, then spread those huge wings and took flight. What a sight! If only I could have captured it on film...it is beautifully etched in my memory for the moment. Photos allow the memory to purge any time, yet return to the forefront on command.

No comments:

Post a Comment