Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Escape is in sight

Tomorrow is a much anticipated day!  For nearly a month I have worn a lovely green cast on my lower left leg.  Tomorrow, I have an appointment to have it removed.  I know fiberglass is lighter than the old plaster casts, but trust me it is cumbersome when trying to adjust position in bed at night and arising from a chair...or a bench or a booth.  At times I must make more than one attempt to stand up.  It's as though I must rock and bounce to make my functional leg gain balance and lift my abundant carcass up!  Crutches are a pain to perch around a table or booth in a restaurant in a place where they do not create a hazard for others attempting to pass.  Zelda Green has been handy at home when I must haul things around the house, but getting her in and out of the car is not a skill we have mastered.  A friend suffered a crash with a similar device and added another six weeks to her recovery after breaking her OTHER foot in the mishap.  With that in mind, I am overly cautious when driving her around the house.

Crutches are not without hazard.  I have stubbed my toes (extended out beyond the front of the cast) on door facings, stomped them with my crutch and hit them on table supports when trying to sit.  When all my fractures are healed, I may require intervention for my toes.  It would appear I am sorely in need of a pedicure, but I fear my black and blue toes will not tolerate any poking and rubbing! A good soaking may be my only indulgence once the green accessory is removed!  Ah, come on tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment