Saturday, January 10, 2015

Too cold, too sweet!

What is it about cold weather that sends the appetite for indulgent foods into a frenzy? Luckily I don't keep many of those temptations in the house.  Never fear, this old bird is resourceful. As temperatures dropped I snuggled under my new warm blanket in the recliner in front of a good movie. Ol' Abner came in and watched for a minute, then headed for the kitchen to prepare some chips and queso.  I resisted.  He ate a sugar free popsicle after that. I declined. Hot coffee was all I needed and since I like it black and unsweetened, my self righteousness was intact!  Key word here, WAS..! Movie ended and I decided a nice glass of peppery syrah with some high cacao chocolate would be a soothing way to finish off the afternoon. We had a couple of little rib-eye steaks thawed but it was too cold to spend anytime on the patio.  I cooked them on the stove top griddle, along with some potatoes, onions and peppers.  Ol' Abner loves an iceberg wedge with all the goodies piled on top.  I prefer a tossed romaine.  Still feeling somewhat righteous, I added some of his bacon and cheese to my salad...a few olives couldn't hurt the result either. No bread for us, we are watching our calorie intake!  A little more of that nice syrah, and I was set for the evening...NOT.  In my search of the extra fridge, I noticed a half container of pistachio gelato. My mind's eye kept reviewing it's positon...thinking it would probably have freezer burn by now. It didn't.  I probably saved it just a few minutes shy of the dread slimy freezer scum.  It was quite tasty. A few chocolate chip cookies (found in the back of the pantry, soon to be stale) followed.  Another glass of wine and I slept well, but the next day I felt the need to overload on carbohydrates.  No resistance there...today I must pay the piper.  No treats for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment