Saturday, September 1, 2012

Melancholy

With a touch of sadness we finish packing the unmoved items in the house in Dogpatch.  Most of the things left here will go to new owners or off to charity.  I kept most of my cooking pans and utensils in the kitchen in order to finish off the food in the freezer.  That has made for a grumpy old man around here.  I had a dozen or so chicken breasts, a couple of salmon filets and lots of frozen vegetables.  He lumps all three categories as food-of-last-resort, just before starvation.  Yesterday he ventured out and called from the grocery store to see what else I might need to fill in with bread and milk.  I suggested he bring back some yogurt, he brought home hot dogs!  This afternoon he made a special trip to the neighboring town to purchase a bake at home pizza.  I really thought it was a good idea to keep the pots and pans here for cooking, but they are being sadly neglected.

In the basement, Christmas decorations and gift wrap are being sorted for travel, donation, or discarding.  I have found little need in the past couple of years for copious amounts of gift wrap and package decor.  Tiny little remembrances for friends are often delivered in a pretty basket or special bag made to compliment the gift.  Children and grandchildren are not insulted with monetary gifts and usually only receive a couple of little cheerily wrapped packages.  It seems rather silly to haul thirty or forty rolls of paper and all sorts of ribbon.  I will continue to indulge my home in Christmas trees and all the trappings of holiday decor. The favorites have found resident storage spots in Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment