Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Eagles have Landed

Last spring a ride down by the river resulted in an exciting find for me. We spotted an eagle nest with a pair raising their young. Unfortunately, my favorite camera only zoomed to 3X, so the photos I took were sadly deficient. I vowed then, to have a camera capable of capturing a better view before they returned...and I knew they would. Eagles mate for life and usually use the same nest, just adding to it for each season. New camera in hand, I have visited the incubating pair as often as good etiquette will allow. The nest sitting began in February, and last week I noticed one little head looking out at the world. An adult eagle was perched proudly on a limb just above the nest. I snapped a few photos and watched their movements for a bit. Returning home, the photos were viewed on a larger screen, cropped, then posted on a social network. One friend sent me a link to a live feed of an eagle pair nesting. Photos of newly hatched eaglets, Mama Eagle turning her eggs then carefully feeding the new baby were fascinating. Guess I'm not the only one who loves to watch the eagles. As I looked more carefully at my uploaded photo, I noticed not only the baby's head, but the white topped head of an adult just behind him. The proud eagle watching must have been the papa eagle. I had feared for the future of the probable two additional eggs in the nest. A "clutch" usually will be three eggs incubated together. What I did learn from the live feed, is the laying sequence of the trio may be over three to five days. Now I'm excited again. May be more babies coming! Now if I can just figure out how to add that photo to this post. The issues bemoaned in yesterday's post are further complicated. When I finished writing and tried to publish, nothing happened. The preview was visible, but publish just ignored me. I uploaded the latest version of Internet Explorer and have had fits with everything I try to do on my laptop. This morning I am on the office computer, where I was able to publish yesterday's blog post. The photo is on the old dinasaur computer in the basement. Perhaps I am making this more complicated than it really ought to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment