Friday, February 20, 2009

Details



My dear Mammy used the phrase "devil is in the details" frequently during my teen years, most often when I was evading the more detailed answer. As I whined about the need to keep multiple "unnecessary" doctor's appointments yesterday, a bit of guilt crept into my empty brain. A friend died yesterday. She was only five years my senior and appeared perfectly healthy just a few months ago. In fact, we were all praying for her spouse's recovery from serious illness late last summer, and offering her supportive euphemisms as we asked for daily updates on his condition. Now she is gone after a sudden but brief illness. Maybe my doctor is on to something and I should be grateful for his diligence. I promise to quit complaining as he insists on monitoring details of my health I'd rather not address. I will no longer evade his advice to seek my own comfort level. Observing details brings hope. I hope that grabbing a handful of raw veggies instead of the cinnamon roll will keep another detail (pound) from expanding. I hope that by spending a few dollars wisely will help our flagging economy. Better yet, I can see details of hope spring up already. The "naked ladies" are peeking up through the soil. In a few weeks they will provide beautiful foilage under the trees. In a few months, the flowers they will display will take my breath away with their beauty. Right now they are tiny details...but I know they are just the beginning of something beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Carrot sticks instead of cinnamon rolls will be good for your knees.

    ReplyDelete