Friday, December 21, 2012

Chance?

I suppose it's time to go to "page 2" of the Mayan calendar.  One could wonder if that second page is hidden in the depths of a lost cave, perhaps along with the third and subsequent pages.  I've laughed and often been horrified at the serious speculative planning for the "end of the world".  My favorite comparison was a side by side photo of the calendar and an Oreo cookie.  Some clever soul determined that the Oreo stamping instructed us to Be Happy, Don't Worry...or You have nothing to fear.  My family has always suffered a fondness for this simple cookie. It's been a difficult month and focusing on the ridiculous has provided a bridge over the hectic painful days.

Dysfunction as a normal state is not pleasant.  Awful events in the news, plans at home seeming to run awry daily, items ordered and lost in transit, treasures stored so well as never to be found and a general feeling of unrest have dampened my joy.  Christmas decorations are displayed and outdoor lights are hung around the eaves of the house.  It looks festive, but under it all lies chaos.

Yesterday I strolled into a coffee shop in the neighborhood and was greeted warmly by the proprietor.  She whipped up my order with a smile and a bit of lively conversation.  I left with my warm latte and scone feeling much lighter.  The remainder of the day progressed smoothly and all my planned errands were completed easily.

This morning the urge to repeat the treat to my tastebuds was strong.  The barista greeted me with a smile and asked if I'd like my same order repeated.  She called each customer coming in by name and offered to whip up their usual morning beverage.  As she chattered away and produced wonderful aromas I talked with other customers.  It's a happening place and my sense of comfort seemed to be shared by those awaiting their order.

Next stop was the post office where I was told my long lost package was on the carriers delivery today.  Oh glory be!  A call from Ol' Abner confirmed the delivery of the package as I pulled out of the parking lot.  The package had been damaged and rewrapped.  My heart sank.  Back home, I looked at the shambles of the wrapping.  Strangely, none of the contents evidenced a trace of damage.  Relieved, no...thrilled at this twist, I headed for the mall to finish my last bit of shopping.  A full parking lot with cars circling frantically for an empty berth would normally be reason enough to turn around and go home.  I drove the first row of cars slowly almost passing a car backing out.  My car was just far enough to need to reverse if I wanted the parking spot.  Another car was a distance behind that I could have forced the issue, but for some reason I felt like being polite. I smiled as she waved after I moved forward allowing her to park.  A lady with a load of shopping bags met me at the end of the lane and motioned to me.  She told me she was about to leave and if I would circle around she would wait to get in her car until I could return.  My benefactor had provided me with a spot at the end of the row directly in front of the store entrance.  Every crowded store had an open cashier just as I approached with my purchases.  Two items on my list were the last on the shelf when I arrived to collect them.

I may stop in for another latte tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment