Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lively Colors

At times I'm caught up in the daily details of life and overlook some of it's glory.  After months of political bombardment by the media, personal discussions and general unrest in the nation; the election finally was completed and we can get back to day to day life with one uncertainty resolved.  Now the media has a new story to chase and I find myself sickened by the news I hear everywhere.  It sort of makes me want to disconnect all news and find a quiet cave somewhere.

Health issues suffered by the men in my life are a constant concern.  Driving Papa to the Ozarks to spend the next couple of months with Brother and Sis-In-Law was a reminder of his fragile health and fading mental state.  A stop to overnight with a cousin demonstrated to this leg of the family that he is effectively gone from them.  Descendents from his only sister remembered the "Unk" who was always their hero.  Some old photos were passed around and his eyes were interested but failed to recognize any of the occupants posed. One photo included a proud soldier in uniform with a pretty young woman, Papa with his first wife, soon after their marriage.  He did not recognize either or remember seeing the picture.

View from screened porch
Ol' Abner did not accompany us to the Ozarks.  He traveled as far as the Arkansas Capitol City to finish his dental work.  On that visit, he arranged to transfer all his medical care to Texas.  Access to oxygen delivery is critical to his well being.  An appointment was scheduled in our new area to begin that process, and it conflicted with the planned trip to Dogpatch.

Arrival on the mountain where we lived for several years, was a joy to  my eyes.  As we crossed the Arkansas River before beginning the ascent into the mountains, I advised Papa to look closely at the foliage.  In the past, when it was in full glory there, the leaves in Dogpatch were pretty much gone.   I was thrilled to see the fall colors in full bloom throughout our journey.

A peace   enveloped my spirit when I ventured onto the screened porch of our former home on the mountain.  Something about  sitting in the treetops looking at a sunrise brings joy to my spirit. On the solitary drive home my reverie was one of gratitude for so many of the day to day blessings I enjoy.  Sadness at changes that are  predictable will not be indulged.  I will take joy in the unexpected flashes of glorious color   expected  to be long gone!      
Front yard foliage in our "former" home

No comments:

Post a Comment