Sunday, August 22, 2010

Summer Delights

Sometimes I just get tired of hearing friends and neighbors complain about the oppressive heat! I prefer to fully embrace the last lazy days of summer. After all, I no longer have to traipse through the frenzy of back-to-school preparation, one thing not missed. No argument, the dog days of summer can be miserably exhausting just from the weight of the hot humid muggy air that seems unique to the Ozarks. Sitting on the porch for a bit to enjoy my coffee this morning, I looked forward to autumn and the beautiful eruption of color coming along with cooler days. Yes! Look forward! No! No! Enjoy NOW! Next winter I will hear fellow hill folks lamenting the bitter cold and anticipating the arrival of spring! Right now, I will enjoy!
Enjoy the taste of cold watermelon
Enjoy watching hummingbirds in a feeding frenzy
Enjoy a cruise on the lake without needing a sweater
Enjoy a pedicure so barefoot sandals can be worn with joy
Enjoy dead-heading the geraniums, so new blooms can sprout
Enjoy watching tiny fawn's spots disappear
Enjoy a watermelon margarita
Enjoy sitting on the porch to read the morning paper
Enjoy pulling a sprig of mint from a pot on the porch for perking up the fruit
Enjoy fresh rosemary at the bottom of the steps, just to sniff or to add to a dish
Enjoy the sound of birds chirping in early morning (I know this isn't Summer ONLY)
Enjoy the beauty of many shades of green

No comments:

Post a Comment